Students have the option of renting textbooks from the MECC Bookstore. To rent from us, you must agree to our rental terms which will be available below. Here are some things you may want to know before choosing to rent your textbook:
Not all textbooks are available for rent. If your course materials include an access code or a workbook, your book may not be available to rent (check with a bookstore employee for more details).
Rental books are bound by the same return policy as purchased books, check out our return policy or the back of one of our receipts for more details.
Rentals can be paid for by check, cash, financial aid, and debit or credit card - but every rental MUST be secured with an active credit card. If you are using a different method of payment for rentals, your credit card will not be charged unless you do not return the book.
Rental Agreement Form
By signing the register receipt, I agree to the following terms and conditions and certify that I have read and understand the terms of this agreement.
1. Rental Fee. I am at least 18 years of age and I am entering this Textbook Rental Agreement ("Agreement") with Mountain Empire Community College Bookstore of my own free will as of the receipt date. To rent a textbook, I must pay the textbook rental fee. I will return each of the textbooks rented ("Rented Materials") to MECC Bookstore, where I received the Rented Materials, by the return due date. Any receipts for Rented Materials are part of and subject to this agreement.
2. Failure to Return. I understand that the textbooks rented by me are the property of MECC Bookstore. I understand that the rental fee is for one semester and the textbooks must be returned even if needed for the following semester. If I fail to return each of the Rented Materials by the due date ("Due Date"), or return them in an unsalable condition (as set out below), I authorize MECC to charge to my credit card on file the replacement price of the rented textbook(s) and any applicable late fees as listed below. I understand that these charges (replacement price and late fees) will be charged to my credit card on the first day after the due date. For the purposes of this Agreement, the replacement price of a rented textbook is the Bookstore's new retail value of the textbook. New book price is based on the new book price at the time of rental. Mountain Empire Community College is not responsible of reminding me of any Due Dates. Once the Non-return Fees have been paid with respect to the Rented Materials are not returned by the return due date, I will not be eligible for this program in future semesters.
3. Purchasing. I understand that I can purchase the rental textbook(s) for retail price minus the rental fee at any time during regular store hours during the add/drop period posted for the semester for which I am renting the textbook(s).
4. Late Fees. A late fee of $10 per book, per day will be assessed up to a maximum of 3 days ($30). This fee will begin the first day following the return due date. It is at the discretion of MECC Bookstore management to accept any rental returns after the return due date.
5. Replacement or Drop a Class: No replacements accepted. I understand that if I drop a course for which I have rented a textbook, the rental fee is refundable only if I return the rented textbook(s) within the normal refund period with the original receipt. The normal refund period states that textbooks must be returned during the add/drop period or 5 days after purchase if bought after the add/drop period. Please see website for details of refund policy. I understand that I must return the rental textbook(s) even if that course is being taken again in the future. If I drop a class after the normal refund policy period or have an incomplete in a course for which I rented a textbook, I must return the rented textbook(s) no later than the rental return due date or the textbook(s) will be considered as failed to return.
6. Conditions upon Return. I accept the responsibility to use the textbook(s) and return it to the MECC Bookstore in resalable condition. No visible answers are allowed and highlighting must be kept to less than 15% of the text. Water, fire, excessive tears and missing pages constitute a damaged book. Saleable condition means the spine of the book is intact, there is no damage to the book, and all component parts of the book must be present. I am responsible for any loss or theft of the Rented Materials.
7. Cards as Security. I will not cancel or exceed the purchasing limits of the credit card on file until the Rented Materials are either returned to MECC Bookstore by the Due Date in saleable condition or the Non-return Fees are paid. I will promptly notify Mountain Empire Community College of any changes to my personal information or credit card information as set out above. If for some reason the card is declined, the fees will be charged to my MECC student account if available. If no funds are available to charge to my student account, my college account will be placed on hold preventing future enrollment in classes, access to financial aid, and release of official documents including transcripts.